Te kaupapa rangahau tuatahi:
In 2019, our Gender Responsive Analysis and Budgeting researchers contributed to the Review of Retirement Income Policies (RRIP) (see Huang and Curtin, 2019, below). Our research on the gender pension gap revealed that many of the factors that contribute to the gender pay gap also impact the gender pension gap. However, career breaks to take up parenting and caring responsibilities are particularly important. Our findings were incorporated into the final RRIP Report tabled in Parliament in January 2020 (Full Report & Summary). Specifically, our conclusions on the value of care credits for women’s wellbeing in retirement was picked up and features as Recommendation 13.
A Review of Gender Differences in Retirement Income
Yanshu Huang and Jennifer Curtin
A research report prepared for the Commission for Financial Capability’s Review of Retirement Income Policy, July 2019
Relationship status and the Welfare System in Aotearoa New Zealand
Jennifer Curtin and Olivia Healey
A Report prepared with the Child Poverty Action Group for the Peter McKenzie Project, May 2019.
The recording of this panel discussion is now available, featuring Professor Jennifer Curtin talking about New Zealand's policy responses to COVID-19 through a gender lens. Also featuring Fiona Buckley, Sabine Lang, Claire Annesley and Pedro Dos Santos. Hosted by the...
Professor Jennifer Curtin Date: Tuesday 28 July Time: 5.30-6.45pm Location: General Library, 109-B10 Address: 5 Alfred Street Register now In 1986, the Royal Commission into electoral reform argued that the Mixed Member Proportional system would help to ensure the...
Advancing Equal Pay and Women’s Economic Wellbeing post-COVID19 Recorded Wed 10 June 2020 Despite the passage of the Equal Pay Act in 1972, gender pay gaps remain an intractable feature of the New Zealand labour market. Compared to their male counterparts, women on...
Gender Impact Analysis: Women workers and COVID-19 Wed 13 May 2020 Speakers: - Saunoamaali’i Kararina Sumeo (Equal Employment Opportunities Commissioner, Human Rights Commission) - Traci Houpapa (MNZM JP CFInstD. NACEW, and Federation of Māori Authorities) - Andrea...
For five weeks, in March and April 2019, Jennifer undertook a research fellowship at the New Zealand Treasury, exploring how gender analysis could inform the regulatory, policy and systems work of central and line agencies. Many thanks to the teams who made Jennifer welcome.
In June 2019, Prof Jennifer Curtin and research colleagues from the University of Alberta, met with government officials from the British Colombia’s Status of Women Department to discuss their gender analysis and capability building programmes.
Our Research in the Media
- The NZ Herald Election 2020: Gender Justice Collective scores parties on equity, Greens top results (12 October 2020)
- The Spinoff The election’s message to women losing their jobs to Covid-19: pick up a hammer (1 October 2020)
- Radio New Zealand COVID-19: Where are the jobs for women? (27 August 2020)
- Stuff Election 2020: What women want this election (22 August 2020)
- The Guardian Jacinda Ardern’s global renown is great, but she must do more for women (20 May 2020)
- The Washington Post Female world leaders hailed as voices of reason amid the coronavirus chaos (21 April 2020)
- The Guardian Debate over when and how to ease New Zealand’s lockdown turns personal (16 April 2020)
- Scoop: CPAG joins united call for the Government to support healthy relationships (25 Nov 2019)
- Interest: Interim Retirement Commissioner Peter Cordtz explains why many women arrive at retirement financially worse off than men and looks at how this could be addressed (24 Sept 2019)
- Stuff: Taxpayer could pay stay-at-home mums’ KiwiSaver contributions (23 Sept 2019)
- Scoop: Define The Relationship: DTR Work and Income-Style (6 Aug 2019)
- RNZ: Welfare system needs to change how it defines relationships – report (4 July 2019)
- Scoop: New report reflects outdated and damaging Welfare relationship rules (04 July 2019)
Researchers and Contributors
Professor Jennifer Curtin
Director, Public Policy Institute
Research Analyst, Public Policy Institute
Dr Yanshu Huang
Research Associate, Public Policy Institute
Research Analyst, COMPASS & Public Policy Institute